Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year 2014

Happy New Year...or whatever.  It is before 9PM on New Year's Eve as I write this.  Too early to be drunk, but here we are. And I find myself struggling to find that place between confidence and delusion. Troeg's Mad Elf will do that to you. So, happy cultural holiday.   Several hours ago, another part of the world already celebrated the new year.  Oh yes, I have the international FB PM's to prove it.  So, what's with that?  That arbitrary line we all celebrate.  When our sun and our clocks shift over to our little measurement of cosmic repetition.  It's symbolic, I get it.  But, forgive me, I prefer the grandiose over the symbolic.  Don't get me wrong, traditions are fun.  But there's something...liberating about the cosmic, about how little you and I matter.  It feels good to know the world doesn't hang on your shoulders, doesn't it?  That the fate of it all doesn't rest on you.  Remembering that gives you both perspective and peace, even in the war for relevance on this tiny rock.

Because what matters, in the sentimental part of or souls, is that we matter to each other. And what matters, in the empty part of our souls, the part that feels it has nothing, is that stars is all we are, and we travel together through this cold and beautiful universe, ticking the patterns away to recall our time of awareness. Our time to love, to define and struggle over the very word.  That sentience is beautiful to me.

Happy New Year.

Don't forget to catch the onslaught on Mars this fall: http://www.space.com/20060-comet-mars-2014-collision-explained.html

No comments:

Post a Comment